Leaking Balcony Repairs in Melbourne, Sydney & Perth
A leaking balcony is a cause for great concern. When a balcony is leaking it can cause substantial substrate damage, tile damage and surface coating damage. This can be a very dangerous situation that needs to be rectified immediately. In some cases water from a leaking balcony will come into your home causing damage to walls and ceilings and possibly your other assets.
At AWS our technicians are fully trained in all aspects of waterproofing, leak repair, leak localisation and identifying the problem at hand. AWS will identify the problem and give you a solution that will benefit you and the future integrity of your structure.
AWS will always strive to save you high costs whilst not taking risks with your asset. Our experienced estimators will assess the situation and recommend the appropriate course of action to fix your leaking balcony.
Quality workmanship guarantee! AWS is the leading waterproofing company in Australia, specialising in balcony waterproofing and repairs. With over 18 years of experience, we have become Westfield & the Government Trusted waterproofers (View Our Projects).
Causes of Leaking Balcony
Leaking balconies can be a serious danger, especially if it’s been leaking slowly for some time before you notice it.
The reason most balconies leak is that the membrane has failed due to improper application or the wrong product was used. We have seen countless membranes fail mostly due to the application being done in a way in which the product was not allowed to work to its full capacity, for example, the application was not thick enough, or the membrane has not been allowed enough time to cure. These are some of the most common reasons why balcony membranes fail.
If the balcony is left to deteriorate for a long period of time you are looking at many problems, such as:
- Decay and rot spreading down external walls
- Discolouration on walls or ceilings
- Electrical issues
- Collapsing balcony
Contact AWS now on 1300 66 5325 or fill out our no obligation Quotation Request Form.
Warning Signs of Balcony Leaks
You can see in the above photos the discoloured timber and plasterboard have completely rotted. It’s always a challenge when you’re trying to determine where the balcony leak/leaks are coming from. Here are a few handy hints from AWS when looking:
- Is the balcony drain blocked, or has some kind of plumbing failure occurred in the area?
- Has the joinery of the door leading out to the deck failed?
- Is the leak visible on the under side of the balcony?
- Has the tile grouting putrefied and is the water leaking through a join in the waterproofing membrane under the tiles?
- Is the water running back across the joists under the deck from outside edge?
- Is the base of the cladding touching the deck? If so water can potentially back up into the bottom plate of the timber wall frame.
- Has the waterproofing membrane been correctly installed underneath the door frame to prevent wind driven rain getting up underneath the door and down into the wall below?
- Is the water coming down from the roof and running down the external walls?
- Any cracks in the plaster cladding around the balcony or external walls in the area?
- Is the tiled area sealed correctly?
If you have managed to tick any of these please call AWS for a free quote on 1300 66 5325 or fill out our no obligation Quotation Request Form and we will send out one of our highly trained technicians in Melbourne, Sydeny or Perth to assess the situation and give you options on rectifying the problem.
How We Repair & Waterproofing a Leaking Balcony
The proper way to repair & waterproofing a leaking balcony is with a sandwich membrane system. Two coats of membrane on the surface of the substrate then the screed followed by another 2 coats of membrane. This system is the most secure as the water has to pass between two systems in order to fail. To apply this system there must be room at the doorways and windows to allow for the thickness of the screed and the tile under these objects. At AWS we will always encourage our clients to take up the option of a sandwich membrane. Should there not be the option to do this due to the room factor, there are other alternatives we can recommend that are equally as effective using heavier duty membranes.
Call AWS for a free quote on 1300 66 53 25. We are your best balcony waterproofing experts in Melbourne, Sydney & Perth.
For Commercial balcony waterproofing and repairs visit www.awsservices.com.au